Re: Moermansk

At 09:29 08.03.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Someone asked me today if the waters around Moermansk harbour are
>contaminated as a result of the storage of old nuclear subs in the
>harbour. Can it be safely used for drinking water by way of
>desalinification?

I do not know about contamination (which I do not think likely), but in
desalination plants will most probably radionuclides be removed, as there
are the other ions. This is true for distillation, for reverse osmosis and
other methods.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Bundeskanzleramt (Federal Chancellery), VI/8
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458