Re: more on DU

I really don't like to make a judgment on the basis of a book title, but
"Allergic to the Twentieth Century" puts my junk science antennae on full
alert.  Having lived healthily through arsenic and coal-tar skin ointments,
DDT sprayed around the kitchen with a flit gun (remember those?), doing
butanol and benzene extractions with gallons of solvents outside a fume hood
with an open window the only ventilation, getting mouthfuls of all kinds of
stuff while pipetting, and you know what?  I'm still here! and healthy!  My
father, who was born in 1896 and survived much worse conditions in chemical
and biochemical laboratories, lived to be 83, and the few health problems he
had could readily be ascribed to bad diet and poor dental care.  I could
give dozens of other examples.

I don't know about Gulf War Syndrome, but it seems to me that as a society
we are considerably overestimating the relative health effects of substances
we have labelled "toxic."   For one thing, anything is "toxic" if it is
misused or if too much is ingested or inhaled: e.g. drinking salt water can
certainly do you in.  I am reminded of   a woman at a public hearing on oil
ports (in Washington State) who claimed she was violently allergic to
hydrocarbon fumes so that even a few MOLECULES affected her, but who
admitted that she had driven about 250 miles to get to the hearing.

Also, humans are, in fact, sturdier than most domestic animals.  My daughter
raises horses, and has often commented that her horses are much more
delicate and sensitive to diet and to both soap and medications than she is.
We have bred domestic animals for certain characteristics and in so doing
have limited their genetic diversity and the stock."

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
7336 Lew Wallace NE
Albuquerque, NM
505-856-5011