Dosimeter Placement

Many thanks to all those replying to my concern for dosimeter placement.
Good info here... my main concern with our people is that I notice the
worker will wear the TLD on a lab coat lapel, pocket, shirt seam, or even
on a neck rope. Consequently, the TLD can dangle at all angles while
exposed to a unidirectional radiation field and rarely is the plane of
incidence perpendicular to the direction of the field, thus possibly
resulting in a reduced readout. In fact, dosimeter neck ropes or chains
are not permitted for our workers because of the highly variable angle of
dangle and distance biasing. We try to empahsize the importance of the
plane of the TLD holder being in contact with and parallel to the plane of
the body surface being monitored.

Thanks again for the info.......

                                Tom Harrison
                                RSO