May I propose a physicist?

Dr. Field and Cohen,

It really appears you are at an impasse.

Dr. Field, you pointed out that Dr. Cohen's "treatments" (which are not
references) were performed after he derived his LNT-theory formula?  You said
it looks like he is putting the cart before the horse.  You stated, "The
assumptions need referenced and should be scientifically sound prior to your
derivations. If your treatments are based on your unsupported  LNT formula,
your findings are invalid."  You asked Dr. Cohen to go back to your original
derivations and look at your assumptions.  I failed to find references
documenting these assumptions.

Dr. Cohen, you then responded by saying "in my previous 25 year life working
in basic physics, mostly as an experimentalist but to a considerable extent
as a theorist, I had a great deal of experience with mathematical
derivations. I can assure you that essentially all mathematical derivations
include some assumptions and approximations; if they did not, the
mathematical complexity would become completely unmanageable. If some of the
assumptions or approximations are questionable, one examines their effects
individually without abandoning the original mathematical derivation. That is
what I did in the papers that I referenced. If you can find a theoretical
physicist to serve as a referee between us on this issue, I would be
delighted to have him make a judgment."

My expertise is in astrophysics, but after looking at Dr. Cohen's derivations
I can see Dr. Field's point.  It may not be clear to most people why you had
to derive a formula other than the initial BEIR IV formula in order to test
the BEIR IV formula. You may want to state why you had to perform any
derivation in order to test the BEIR IV linear formula?  A firm foundation
for your assumptions do appear to be missing in deriving your formula.  I
have a colleague who works in theoretical physics, Anthony Nero, here at the
University of California. He has also worked in the area of both physics and
radon for many years.  Would both of you (Dr. Cohen and Dr. Field) agree to
have Dr. Nero serve as a referee on this issue?

I would be glad to ask him?

Jeff Klugh
radiationhealth@aol.com