TYPE C package

Lester,

> In IAEA ST-1 a Type C package is defined identically to a Type B pkg.
> How are they different?

     The concept of a Type C package was a package for the air transport
     of (in  essence) "highway  route controlled quantities."  Note that
     IAEA ST-1 Paragraph  416 limits  air transport  for Type  B(U)  and
     Type B(M) packages  to activities  no greater than to the lesser of
     3000 A1 or  100,000 A2  for special  form;  and  to  activities  no
     greater than  3000 A2 for  other/normal form.   [Okay, so it is not
     quite the  definition  of  highway  route  controlled  quantities.]
     Therefore, any  activities in excess of those specified above would
     have to be transported by air in a Type C package.

> P.S.  They are some significant changes in this document, e.g.,
> vehicle plackarding requirements.  Strongly suggest comments be made
> to the USDOT, as requested.

     The placarding  requirements have  not really  changed in  the IAEA
     Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material at least
     back through  the 1973  edition, and I don't think through the 1969
     edition, but  I can  not put my hand quickly on the 1969 edition to
     check.   You are probably referring to the requirement to placard a
     vehicle transporting  any  labeled  radioactive  material  package.
     Recognize that the United States is one if the few (if not the only
     country) that  does not require placarding for transporting White I
     and Yellow II  package.   I don't foresee this changing, but yes, I
     concur that comments should be made on this and other matters to be
     sure that such changes are not made.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.
E-Mail: 70472.711@compuserve.com
Tel: 225-924-1473
Fax: 225-924-4269
-------------( Forwarded computer archived letter follows )-------------
In IAEA ST-1 a Type C package is defined identically to a Type B pkg.  How
are they different?

P.S.  They are some significant changes in this document, e.g., vehicle
plackarding requirements.  Strongly suggest comments be made to the USDOT,
as requested.

Disclaimer:  the above are the personal musings of the author, and do not
represent any past, present, or future position of NIST, the U.S. government,
or anyone else who might think that they are in a position of authority.
Lester Slaback, Jr.  [Lester.Slaback@NIST.GOV]
NBSR Health Physics
Center for Neutron Research
NIST