Re: Elephants and blue whales (breast cancer)

>>Anyway, I suppose that part of the message may be that more cells >>relate
>>in a directly proportional way to a higher probability of having malignant
>>events occurring.
	<snip>

>This raises the obvious question, Why aren't all the elephants and blue
>whales dropping like flies?

With the human breast, we are talking about the same species, and about a
specific (not the whole organism) tissue that basically has the same genetic
program (with small but sometimes important variations).

The general pattern of various causes of death differs between various
organisms (cancer is just one group of diseases). It is wellknown that
metabolic rate and size also are important as well as temperature (the
longest living animal in Sweden is a clam that lives in cold river waters -
it can become more than 150 years old - but all this is a different story).

My reflections only,

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com