Should the HPS seek AIP membership?

This may be an old question, but as I was reading "Physics Today" online I
wondered why the AAPM is a member society of the American Institute of
Physics (AIP) and the ANS is an affiliate member, yet the HPS is neither?.
It seems to me that it would benefit members of the HPS to at least have
affiliate membership in the AIP for reduced rates on their publications and
meeting costs. I don't know the politics or history, but it seems like we
should be a fit as much as the AAPM. Does anyone know if there has there
been a study of the feasibility of the HPS joining the AIP? Has the HPS
membership been polled on the question in the last decade?

Michael D. Brooks, CHP
CDC/ATSDR
Health Physicist
Division of Health Assessment and Consultation
Federal Facilities Assessment Branch
1600 Clifton Rd (E-56)
Atlanta, Georgia 30333
(404) 639-6053, fax 6075