Re: New dosimeter for emergency personnel

Interesting concept. However, if I were entering a potentially high
dose rate area, not knowing what type of radioactive material or
potential dose I were to be exposed to, I would prefer an electronic
dosimeter AND a conventional dosimeter, preferably a TLD.

Questions to be asked:

(1) Does it respond to only gamma? What about exposure to x-rays of
varying energies? What about beta radiation? What about neutron
radiation?

(2) Is is affected by environmental factors, such as heat and
humidity?

(3) What about time to respond to the incident radiation?

(4) Is there a dose rate dependency?

(5) What about linearity?

(6) Are there geometry issues?

(7) What is the minimal threshold?

(8) What is the upper threshold)

(9) Does one really expect that an individual is going to wear
multiple litmus test papers, realizing that the potential dose rate
is unknown?

There are more questions, but these are some that need to be
addressed by the provider.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205