A Dose of Reality

Jaroslav Franta deserves thanks for posting, on March 16, the Reuters
news story describing the recent study, published in the American Cancer
Society's journal "Cancer", of childhood thyroid cancer in Belarus,
resulting from Chernobyl.  The study indicates that the greatest hazard
of radioiodine-caused thyroid cancer is in children under two years old,
who are more likely than older children to develop the disease, and in
whom the disease is more likely to have spread.  The cancer had spread
beyond the thyroid in 62% of the patients under two years old.

Also on March 16, RADSAFER James Muckerheide of the Massachusetts
Emergency Management Agency, faxed to the Massachusetts Advisory Council
on Radiation Protection, of which he is a member, his reasons for
believing that the stockpiling of potassium iodide for thyroid
protection is unnecessary and undesirable.  His statement including the
following:

"5. Thyroid cancer is readily and commonly treatable, without long term
consequences other than taking thyroxin to provide the necessary thyroid
hormone.  This is a common condition.  The few deaths from thyroid
cancer were caused by failing to provide adequate medical care.
6.  Even with these high doses, primarily to children exposed from about
5 months before birth to 5 years old, with most of the remaining cases
in children that were below about 10 years old, the increase in thyroid
cancer is small.  The reported factor of 3 to 4 increase is from 1 case
in about about 300,000 children, results in 3 or 4 cases in 300,000, or
about 1 additional case in 100,000+ children."

As an old thyroid cancer patient, I beg to differ.  I recall years ago,
when I was being treated at the National Institutes of Health for a
recurrence that required 700 millicuries of I-131 to eradicate, I met an
NIH doctor who was himself a thyroid cancer patient.  I mentioned to him
that at my agency (the NRC, from which I have since retired), there were
those who thought that it was not worth having KI to protect against
thyroid cancer, because the disease was not that big a deal.  He turned
red with anger in an instant and snapped, "They ought to have it!"

I've known many thyroid cancer patients, and I can't think of a single
one who would agree with Jim Muckerheide's characterization of the
disease.  Granted, it doesn't often kill -- though there are exceptions,
like Senator Tom Harkin's brother, or the young professor of Russian at
Cornell whom my brother remembered from summer camp (like me, the
professor was part of the group that received radiation treatments to
the head and neck at Chicago's Michael Reese Hospital in childhood).  In
fact, there are about 1000 such exceptions in the United States each
year, and they are not all dying for want of adequate medical care.

I once mentioned to an NRC colleague, who was also a thyroid cancer
patient, the propaganda about how inconsequential the disease was.  He
laughed:  "Right!  I used to climb stairs on all fours for the fun of
it."  I knew exactly what he was talking about:  the exhaustion and
weakness, almost unbelievable to anyone who has not experienced it, that
patients feel when they are taken off all thyroid hormone in advance of
an I-131 treatment.  (To ensure maximum uptake of the I-131, the patient
is made extremely hypothyroid, beginning several weeks before
treatment.)

Like Jim Muckerheide, I am no physician.  But I have talked with many
physicians who have treated thyroid cancer.  In England, at the
Cambridge University conference on radiation and thyroid cancer where I
gave a paper in 1998, I met a doctor who was marveling -- if that is the
word -- that there were people trying to make the case that the disease
was of minor significance.  "If they had they seen the children I have
seen, and some of them could not be saved...."  He shook his head.

Jim Muckerheide began his comments to the Massachusetts Advisory Council
on Radiation Protection by saying that Mary Lampert, an advocate of KI
stockpiling, had provided negligible new scientific information about
the drug.  He continued:  "However, since the previous science
literature review, there have been additional studies.  They confirm the
initial results."  Perhaps he could give RADSAFERS a clarification on
this point:  what additional studies is he referring to, and what
initial results do they confirm?

Peter Crane, pgcrane@erols.com