Radiation Records Being Investigated

Note: The witch hunt continues. Some of the accusations come from a
guard at the facility. Another is from a wife who supposedly has a
blacked out copy of a medical record that was provided her husband in
1973. Interesting that this all coincides with the Republican led
Congress trying to push through a "no fault compensation program."
Ironic that their campaign theme this year in NO NEW TAXES, yet we
the taxpayer are going to have to pay these individuals for their
maladies without proof of radiation induced disease. Go figure!

Radiation Records Being Investigated

WASHINGTON (AP) - The government is investigating whether officials
at federal uranium enrichment plants falsified radiation exposure
records for workers, the Department of Energy's top safety official
said Wednesday.

``We have heard those allegations and we're pursuing them,'' said
David Michaels, assistant secretary for environment, safety and
health.

Michaels made his comments after Jeffrey Walburn, a guard at the
Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant in Piketon, Ohio, told Senate
Governmental Affairs Committee members not to believe anything they
read about exposure levels.

``The records are not accurate or believable,'' said Walburn, who
suffers from respiratory problems. ``They can make your dosimetry
(radiation measurement) a tailor-made reading of what they want it to
reveal.''

Ann Orick of Knoxville, Tenn., showed senators a copy of a medical
report her husband - a co-worker - received after a 1973 accident at
the Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Plant in Tennessee. The handwritten
document has two parts blacked out where plant officials hid the
identity of the red-and-white powder with which he came in contact.

Mrs. Orick said her husband suffers breathing problems and said her
family is frustrated they cannot find out what caused the ailment.

``I bet we can,'' replied committee chairman Fred Thompson, R-Tenn.,
prompting an ovation from what had been a hushed audience.

``How can they treat him properly if they don't know what they're
dealing with? We need to do something about that,'' he told Michaels.

Michaels said the Clinton administration is working on legislation to
compensate sick workers. Thompson warned the bill should not rely on
questionable documents or force workers to demonstrate exposure
levels that cannot be proven.

Michaels said Energy Secretary Bill Richardson already has said
``that the burden of proof should not be on workers.''

Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, urged speedy action.

``The longer we wait the worse it gets,'' he said. ``A lot of people
need some medical care (and) some real compensation.''

The Clinton administration has proposed offering medical benefits,
lost-wage reimbursement, optional job retraining or a single $100,000
cash payment to workers suffering illnesses caused by exposure to
beryllium. In addition, the administration has proposed compensation
of $100,000 apiece to workers at the Paducah plant exposed to
radioactive materials known to cause cancer.

But other workers remain in limbo. Thompson's committee heard from
some of them.

Cancer victim Sam Ray of Lucasville, Ohio, said he worked at
Portsmouth for decades without any protective clothing. Walburn, who
lives in Greenup, Ky., said he does not believe he was told the truth
about what he inhaled during a 1994 accident at Portsmouth that
permanently damaged his lungs.

''(Plant officials) testified in a federal deposition in 1994 that we
were only exposed to low levels of (the toxic chemical) fluorine,''
he said. ``I beg to differ. ... My wife held me in her arms and
watched my lung lining bubble out my mouth.''

Thompson said the illnesses suffered by workers are real and should
be acknowledged by the government.

``It's time for the federal government to stop automatically denying
any responsibility and face up to the fact that it appears as though
it (the government) made at least some people sick,'' he said.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205