Re: A dose of reality, continued

Peter Crane posted the following:

> 4.  493 childhood thyroid cancers in Belarus alone (the study in the
> American Cancer Society journal was based on that number of cases) is a
> whopping number.  My understanding is that in Russia, Belarus, and
> Ukraine combined, the total of childhood thyroid cancers now exceeds
> 2000 cases.  Is it your claim that this represents no more than three or
> four times normally expected rates?

This is one of the articles I mailed to my news distribution list on
March 15. It supports Peter's comments:

Wednesday March 15 7:09 PM ET

Radiation hits very young the hardest

NEW YORK, Mar 15 (Reuters Health) -- Exposure to radiation, such as
that released by the Chernobyl nuclear plant accident, takes a
heavier toll on very young children, according to new study findings.

 Among children living in Belarus, thyroid cancer was more common and
more severe in children who were younger than 2 years old at the time
of the 1986 accident than in those who were older, researchers
report. In addition, the rate of childhood thyroid cancer was
considerably higher in girls than in boys.

Radiation released by the nuclear accident at Chernobyl led to an
increased rate of thyroid cancer in children living in regions
surrounding the plant. Previous research has shown that younger
children were at greatest risk of developing cancer, but whether or
not a child's age affected the severity of the disease has not been
studied closely, according to a team of researchers led by Dr.
Jamshid Farahati, of the University of Wurzburg in Germany.

In the current study, the research team looked at 483 children with
thyroid cancer who were living in Belarus at the time of the
accident. All of the children were younger than 8 years old when
exposed to radiation from the plant.

As has been reported before, the greatest number of cancer cases
occurred in children who were younger than 2 years old at the time of
the accident, Farahati and colleagues report in the March 15th issue
of Cancer, a journal of the American Cancer Society. The
investigators also found that the rate of cancer was 60% higher in
girls than in boys.

But the researchers note that cancer tended to be more severe in the
youngest children. In youngsters under age 2, tumors had grown
outside the thyroid gland 62% of the time, compared with just 40% in
children aged 6 to 8 years old. In addition, the youngest children
were more likely to have cancer spread to the lymph nodes and other
parts of the body, according to the report. But despite the
differences in disease severity, the lag time between radiation
exposure and cancer diagnosis was similar in all children.

The authors explain that thyroid cells in infants and toddlers divide
rapidly as the glands mature. Since cancer depends on mutations that
occur during cell division, each time a cell divides is an
opportunity for cancer to take hold. In contrast, older children have
more mature thyroid glands, so the pace of cell division is slower,
which may explain in part why the risk of thyroid cancer is lower in
older children. And since thyroid glands in younger children tend to
be smaller than in older kids, the same amount of radiation may have
more of an effect, leading to more severe cancer, according to the
report.

After an average of nearly 4 years of follow-up, none of the children
had died from cancer, Farahati and colleagues report. However, they
state that these children should continue to be followed to see what
effect, if any, age at the time of radiation exposure has on long-
term survival. SOURCE: Cancer 2000;68:1470-1476.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205