Re: I'm get tired of it too, but...

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Jim Muckerheide wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> OK. Name one. Note that BRER (Board of Rad Effects Research) the permanent
> body forms the BEIR Committees, IS the NAS. Now what? So we move the
> 'independent adjudicator' to be the body responsible for determining
> 'scientific misconduct,' subject to court review.
>
> Bernie has persevered. Consider that this is even after the full weight of the
> NAS, as the EPA-funded, BRER-formed, BEIR VI Committee, personally trashed
> Bernie, with his work dismissed in a couple of paragraphs in an Appendix, and
> outright in the body (as though there were an analysis backing it up).

	--I proposed a NAS study of my work,with me paying all of the
costs. I even got a letter of support for my proposal from a former
President of NAS. But I was turned down flat, with an explanation that my
work had been fully studied by BEIR-VI. Incidently, the basis for BEIR-VI
rejection is analyzed in a paper by me in the next issue of HEALTH
PHYSICS. It shows that the BEIR-VI "suggestion" requires completely
implausible numbers to affect my results.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260