Re: Laboratory Eating/Drinking Policy

At 10:05 AM 3/30/00 -0600, you wrote:
>          We are in the process of designing a new research building and in
>          recent meeting where the lab space was being discussed several PI's
>          have mentioned the desire to allow eating/drinking at desk spaces
>          which would be located inside laboratories.

Perhaps I'm missing the point here or maybe my knowledge of chemistry is
lacking, but it seems to me that, if radioactive material can be
inadvertently moved to the desk inside the lab, chemicals can, too. Chem
labs contains all sorts of chemicals that are far more hazardous than the
quantities of radioactivity used in most labs, and represent not just a
larger danger but a far more immediate danger, too.

So, my question is: if the lab does NOT use radioactive material, are the
lab users permitted to eat and drink in the lab?

Bob Flood
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
bflood@slac.stanford.edu
(650) 926-3793