RE: A New Way To Bash Nuclear Power (Reply from the mutual fund)

	You asked: "Any problems with the technical basis presented?" with
the Calvert Group's reply.

	Yes, there are problems technically.

	1.Moreover, real solutions to radioactive waste disposal are still
elusive, and the
	volume of radioactive waste is still growing, totaling approximately
150,000
	tons in the late 1990s.

	Technically we have solved the problem of the waste either by
reprocessing or by use of breeder technology combined with electro-refining
(as in the EBR-II process)

	2.  This waste poses problems for the environment as
well as for nuclear non-proliferation;

	There are much easier and safer ways to obtain nuclear weapons
materials than by attempting to reprocess spent nuclear fuel from a
commercial reactor.

	Bob Boston
	bostonrd@id.doe.gov
	The opinions expressed are clearly my own.