Re: ALARA What?

----- Original Message -----
From: Stanley Fitch <stanley_fitch@nmenv.state.nm.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 11:45 PM
Subject: ALARA What?

> I’ve received enough exposure in my life to know that I don’t care to
> receive any more in excess.  Why do people voluntarily irradiate
> themselves without minimizing their exposures?  Next question, why are
> HPs pushing governmental agencies to raise the exposure bar to levels
> that unnecessarily irradiate people?  Go figure.  Nuclear engineers
> (hear me ANS) don’t make very good HPs.
>
> I’m one regulator that still believes in the ALARA concept, and I
> enforce it.
>
> This is an unofficial correspondence, and should not be thought of as an
> endorsement by my employer.
>
> Stan Fitch
> stanley_fitch@nmenv.state.nm.us

A Technical Committee meeting was held at the IAEA headquarter in 1995 to
provide information regarding experience on and techniques for making
quantitative estimates concerning the probability of causation of cancer as
function of occupational radiation exposure and the methods of calculating
and estimating whether occupational exposure of an individual suffering from
cancer could ne held responsible for the patient's condition.
The TECDOC provides several examples which are for illustrative purposes.
Example:
A male has received a dose of radiation of 5 mSv every year from the age of
18 years up until the age of 44 years when he is diagnosed with leukaemia.
What is the probability of causation (PC) of this leukaemia being to this
dose of radiation?
The name is "Methods for estimating the probability of cancer from
occupational radiation exposure - IAEA TECDOC 870, April 1996

TECDOC documents can be obtained without any costs. Just ask to the IAEA's
Division of Public Information the way: E-mail:
official.mail@iaea.org
Or to the Scientific Secretary responsible for the co-ordination of the
Meeting.

To those interested I can provide his e-mail

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel