Re: DU in a fire

At 14:54 31.03.2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear RadSafers
>
>Are there any concerns about DU shrapnel in a fire? At some outdoor areas
>of Los Alamos National Lab., there is DU shrapnel on the ground and
>embedded in trees, as a result of 50 years of tests. In a brush or forest
>fire, what should a firefighter be concerned about?
>
>Thank you, mike

Well, you know that I am not an expert for such cases, but using common
sense I think they should wear respiratory gear, which in any case would
most probably have to be used to protect against the smoke and other
'conventional' hazardous material.

It will mostly depend on the chemical properties of the uranium compounds,
which have been exposed for up to 50 years to the environment. Any hazard
could only arise from inhaling uranium particles or compounds. Please keep
in mind, that uranium is much more chemotoxic than radiotoxic. So I would
believe that much more than using radiation protection consideration your
collegues experienced in chemotoxicity should answer this question.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Bundeskanzleramt (Federal Chancellery), VI/8
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458