Re: Practically workable? (formerly "ALARA What?")

While I agree with Glenn, that simply providing slogans that in
comparison, we're not worse, doesn't really address the real issues.
The fact is that when it comes to legislation, radiation is treated
based not on the reality of the topic, but rather on the perceptions
of the topic. This has been and will continue to be the way radiation
is treated. It only took our industry 25 years of dealing with the
public with a "need to know" mentality, to put us in this current
state. Promises and secrecy have fuelled the flame, and a few
accidents along the way certainly haven't helped.

It will take another generation or two of dispensing with the
promises, the rhetoric, but real dialogue, to bring back the pro-
nuclear mentality in this nation. We're not alone .. look at the rest
of the world.

Did LNT cause us to be where we are today. I don't believe so. The
public started turning against nuclear options way before the LNT
acronym even became a household word. It may be discussed within
Congress and at symposiums, but the average person doesn't fear
radiation because of it, but because of the way the energy option was
handled by the executives, the scientists and the politicians.

Debating won't help. Education and honesty are the only viable
vehicles to perhaps, bring back a positive nuclear option.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205