Re: Austrian government joins voices opposing Temelin nuclear plant

At 17:11 28.03.2000 -0600, you wrote:

>.....another ex-Green guy ?  (..like Ulli Simao ?)
>
>http://www.ctknews.com/tuectk.html
>Austrian government joins voices opposing Temelin nuclear plant
>VIENNA, March 28 (CTK) - The Austrian government is "offensively seizing"
>the opportunity to voice its opposition to the construction of the Temelin
>nuclear power plant in the Czech Republic, Austrian Environment Minister
>Wilhelm Molterer said today after a cabinet meeting in Vienna.
>Molterer also said that "final evaluations of impact on the environment are
>not possible" on the basis of the groundwork documents presented by the
>Czech side.
>According to information available to Austria, the analyses and data on the
>probability of incidents at the plant are insufficient, Molterer said.
>Molterer at the same time praised what he called "the new information
>policy" from the Czech side.
>
>-------------

Hi, Jaro,

No, Mr Molterer is not an ex-green. To use the Austrian colours, he is
black (conservative party). He is since today (April 1st - think of this
date, what you want...) Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, Environmental
Protection and Water Resources. By the way he is since today my boss,
because I was transferred to his ministry with this date.

I checked my daily newspaper and it commented in a different way, on page
20 or so, stating that the experts of the Environmental Protection Agency
(I do not know any) have stated that Austria should take the opportunity to
participate in the procedure of Environmental Acceptability Examination.
The daily newspaper I an subscribed to may not reflect the opinion of other
papers, but I assure you that the Viennese do not pay any attention to such
messages. When asked in an opinion poll they will tell you of course that
they are very concerned, but this is because some mass media put that
forward. If you would ask them where Temelin, Mochovce, Dukovany etc. is
situated, they will sure not be able to locate it. Such problems are not
related to nuclear power only, but actually to everything put forward in
the massmedia. As long as politicians base their politics on opinion polls,
lobbyists (including the mass media and the "opinion leaders" ianfluencing
the mass media) will be successful. Are there any politicians who think
further ahead than to the next election? No, because in this case they
would be statesmen.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Resources
Radiation Protection Department
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA