AW: Leaded Glass for Shielding

Paul B. Pollan wrote:

> Fellow radsafers:  I am trying to find some information on
> the properties of
> leaded glass used for shielding.  It is my understanding that
> the thick
> glass needed to be an effective shielding medium also
> possesses a relatively
> high capacity for storing an electrostatic charge.  Have I
> been misinformed?
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Paul B. Pollan, RRPT
> J.M. Farley Nuclear Plant

Paul, you are absolutely right.

The shileding windows of our hot cells are made from lead glass. The
thickness is approx. 1 meter. Before removal we have to discharge the
windows with a special device with thick cables from the manufacturer of the
windows.The manufacturer is Schott Glass in Mainz, Germany. They have an
english website with the following URL http://www.schottglasstech.com. Maybe
you can get additional informations there.

Hope this helps.

Peter Hewing
Siemens Karlstein
Germany