Re: Seeds DO Sprout!

>Yes, irradiated seeds do sprout, but not after levels necessary to kill
>bacteria.

Seeds have been irradiated in the 10-30 krad range for years as a way of
improving the germination rate. I helped my younger son do a science fair
project years ago in which half the seeds were irradiated to 10 krad and
half were unirradiated. After planting in the same tray so they experienced
the same environmental conditions, literally all of the irradiated seeds
sprouted (we counted!) while only about 50% of the unirradiated ones
sprouted. And right at the exact time of the fair - what great planning, eh?

Seed irradiation has been used worldwide to increase the germination rate
and thereby increase yield per acre. Very helpful in countries with a
marginal food supply.