RE: Son of ALARA!

After reading, and rereading Mr. Fitch's eloquent "son of ALARA" post, I
wasn't quite sure if he was for us or agin' us.

Specifically, the following comments:

>>they fight in favor of the nuclear industry's unfettered success<<
Actually, I don't think anyone wants "the fox in charge of the henhouse".
We have gone through that with the government and the nuclear industry, and
continue to remediate and clean up at places like Mound, Fernald, and many
others.  What I believe everyone is asking for is reasonable regulations and
enforcement that is applied equally across the industry.  By all means, the
health and safety of the worker, the public AND the environment should be
paramount.  (How many Ci go down the drain at Hospitals and Universities?
Yet I have to kill trees over 100 cpm on a workers hand)  Again let's be
reasonable.

>> Cohen et al are chanting "ALARA is dead, ALARA is dead.<<
Hopefully the others are in the minority, and some people are stubborn.  I
don't think Son of Erythema will come back though.  Compromise, is the key
as Fitch stated, compromise is a synonym for ALARA.

>>Why ALARA?  Quite simply this:  One ionizing event can cause a single
unrepaired double strand break, which may result in a fatal malignancy.<<
A true statement.  However, also the kind of statement that anti nuclear
protagonists will use to scare, misinform and brainwash the public.
Statements without qualification tend to inflame (usually on purpose)
situations rather than explain them.  Better get rid of trees cause one fell
on my uncle and killed him.

>>What is acceptable risk for radiological workers?  Should it be 8
fatalities per 100,000 or perhaps 1 per 1,000?<<
Fatalities? Back to my uncle.

Finally, I really take exception to the following;
>>(nuclear workers).. are similar to many Appalachian coal miners who in the
past contracted black lung because they were unable to seek better
employment.  Certainly life is more important than nuclear money or
accolades.<<
I am able to seek any employment I desire, and have done so in my 20+ years
in the nuclear industry.  You are  pious and ignorant  Mr. Fitch.  In one
paragraph you have offended not only coal miners and Appalachians, but
everyone who works in the nuclear industry.  Life IS more important than
nuclear money or accolades, and so is family, religion and self esteem.  I
certainly hope that the money you earn is virginal and untainted in any way.
Or maybe you have found the perfect job.  I would suggest that you GET a
life before you criticize mine or my occupation.

Ted Neufang
ALARA Supervisor
PSEG Nuclear LLC
856-339-2832