RE: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

My dear Mr. Savin, what solid proof do the courts and attorneys have that
the workers obtained their illnesses through their work with radioactive
materials?  Should enormous payouts be made, on the backs of taxpayers like
you and me, on statistical probabilities?  Statistics might work if one was
to question the probability of doors falling off a moving automobile per a
certain total number of automobiles.  Statistics may also suffice for
"proving" that a certain number of people will fall out of the cars, get
injured, and die from those automobiles that did have the doors fall off
while the automobiles were moving.  Chemicals I can easily understand, since
there is a higher statistical probability that toxic outputs are possible
from mixing of incompatible chemicals than falling out of moving automobiles
that had their doors fall off.

What is sad about this is that there are those who choose to remain ignorant
on the actual damage caused by ionizing radiation; a subject that has been
one of the most extensively studied topics known.  The statistical
probabilities of damage are far lower than falling out of the aforementioned
moving automobile with defective doors.  As I am sure you have learned in
your research, the major culprit of known radiation damage is from high
doses over a short period of time.  Even using the BEIR V report as a
"statistical probability" of chronic radiation damage, there is less than
little to worry about.

It is amazing that there are all kinds of highly educated people living in
Oak Ridge who are fully aware of the biological effects of ionizing
radiation, the statistical probabilities, the kind and amount of
"background" radiation eminating from the surrounding forests, wildlife, and
ponds, and yet are not afraid to live, work, and raise a family there.  Of
course, I could continue smoking cigarettes, develop lung cancer, become a
"sick worker" and claim that it came from working in a nuclear power plant.
If this is the case, I would like to retain your services, esquire, to
'milk' the propaganda for all it's worth.  The people on the (our) list are
not anti-worker and pro-company management, they (we) just know better.

As far the media is concerned, in my neck of the woods, we have very good
communication with the media.  Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to
proof-read the copy before it is printed or broadcast.  Errors abound in
almost all articles written by the 'unlearned' regarding nuclear power,
nuclear waste, and just about anything else dealing with the term "nuclear".
It is not malicious on the part of the media, I would hope, just ignorance.
Any clarification is perceived by the public as everything but the truth.
This is particularly true of any facility run by "the Government".  Our
Government would never deceive or lie to you, now would it? ;-).  [In case
you missed the sarcasm].  It would be impossible to communicate what has
been learned of ionizing radiation to the general public in a form that
wouldn't get twisted, disbelieved, and otherwise permutated to the point
that one would throw up their hands and walk away shaking their heads.  This
is partially our fault.  The Government had kept atomic issues secret, and
the public was not to know anything about atomic energy except what was seen
in Japan when the two bombs were dropped.  Naturally, human nature is to be
wary of anybody with one hand out and one hand behind their back.  I cannot
blame anyone for having a fear of nuclear energy, nuclear medicine, etc.
since the only pictures the common person has is that of a mushroom cloud.
I just wish there were less people to try to capitalize (sound familiar?) on
misguided fears and probabilities, and more people with solid reputations
trying to dispel those irrational fears.  I personally encourage your
differing opinion.  It makes for interesting reading. ;-)

"One can only be ignorant once.  After one is enlightened and makes the same
error, it is stupidity." - unknown

My own opinions only.  Also with kindest regards,

Paul B. Pollan, RRPT