Re: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

Dear Bill and Greg and all:

Lest anyone misjudge me or mistakenly think that I am an "anti," I am neither
for or aganist nuclear power. I have never represented any licensee,
intervenor or other party in a powerplant licensing case.

I have, however, represented both professional engineers and other ethical
employees at nuclear and coal-fired powerplants, both government and
corporate, who were harassed, intimidated and fired for practicing proper
engineering judgment, or otherwise doing their jobs.  Management's
retaliatory actions too often speak for themselves. See, e.g., DeFord v.
Tennessee Valley Authority (DeFord II),
http://www.oalj.dol.gov/public/wblower/decsn/90era60a.htm

Nuclear powerplant whistleblowers in my experience strongly believe in
nuclear energy and want nuclear plants operate safely.  They are dedicated to
the ethics of their  professions, just like you and me.  They are alarmed at
management's ill-advised actions.

IMHO, coal-fired powerplants have serious pollution problems, and contribute
significantly to the toxic haze over Oak Ridge, adding to the insult to the
immune system from the TSCA incinerator.  One must not say that the TSCA
incinerator alone caused the health problems in Oak Ridge -- that would be a
single-factor theory.

Before deciding what kind of plant (if any) to build, I would want to know
ALL of the facts, e.g., if I were a director or manager of TVA or a civilian
power company (fat chance,  which is to say no chance at all).

The difference betwen hospitals and nuclear powerplants on the one hand and
nuclear bomb factories on the other is the complete lack of outside
regulation.  See, e.g., Report of the Committee on Improving Regulation at
DOE facilities. http://www.em.doe.gov/acd/finrept.html

As noted by several of you, DOE has been arrogant lord of all that it sureyed
for half a century, creating a colossal wasteland, from sea to shining sea,
from Long Island to Oak Ridge to Rocky Flats to Hanford.  It is the world's
worst managers in charge of the world's most hazardous materials.

As noted by several professionals on this list, there is a huge amount of
hubris  on the part of DOE nuclear bomb factory managers.  In Oak Ridge, some
of the nuclear bomb factory managers and lawyers are the third generation of
their famliies to tell workers to shut up, keep quiet, there's no problem.
There must be a gene somewhere, or a bad seed.  :)

DOE does things that no nuclear powerplant in the country does.  It's like
the joke about substituting lawyers for lab mice at NIH because, among ohter
reasons, "there are some things that rats just will not do."  :)  Seriously,
you should not think  of DOE as being a part of the nuclear industry -- it is
a pariah.  You do not need to defend it any longer.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, DOE is like a baby, "all appetite on the one
end, and alll irresponsibility on the other."  As Hazel O'Leary said, DOE
sites are not unlike what your house would be like if you "had a party every
day for fifty years and never cleaned up."  Like a baby, DOE also has a
tendency to go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! to try to get its way.  Hence, several years
worth of anti-worker posts on this listserv.

Don't take criticism of DOE as criticism of nuclear powerplants -- they have
nothing in common but the word "nuclear."  I appreciate that no one in the
U.S. nuclear power would put 4.2 million pounds of mercury into creeks.

Don't ever again let DOE managers hide behind the nuclear powerplant
industry, using y'all as human shields or indefensible.  They don't deserve
defending.  What they did was indefensible. You know it, I know it, Congress
knows it, Bill Clinton knows it, Bob Dole knows it, and the whole world knows
it.  DOE is not the nuclear industry.  DOE is the Nuclear Weapons industry.
Big difference.

Thank you for speaking out.

Ed Slavin

In a message dated 04/06/2000 12:39:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,