Pamela Gillis Watson Responds to NASA JSC

Subj:    [downwinders] Re: [CHE-OAKRIDGE] NASA JSC Says "This has gotten out
of hand" -- any responses?
Date:   04/07/2000 5:07:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   pambo1@aol.com
To: CHE-OAKRIDGE@egroups.com, che-oakridge@onelist.com,
downwinders@onelist.com
CC: easlavin@aol.com

Dear Ed,

Please post my response to the NASA JSC on the RADSAFE list:

Dear Sir,

I'm dismayed by your attack on the legal profession and your assumption that
Mr. Slavin doesn't know what he's talking about because he isn't a scientist.
 Unfortunately, I know from personal experience that scientists are sometimes
merely highly schooled bigots who know very little outside their area of
expertise.  And as for your smug assertion that Mr. Slavin says what his
clients pay him to say, who do you think is paying him to say what he said on
the RADSAFE email list?  Who do you think paid him to say what he said to the
U.S. Senate?  Who do you think pays him for all the letters he writes to
email lists and newspaper editors and all the DOE public meetings he attends?
 And what makes you think that an attorney who helps whistleblowers and sick
workers sue for compensation is any more a whore than a scientist who works
for NASA or DOE?

My opinion is that Mr. Slavin does what he does for a number of reasons
(human motivations are never a simple thing), including his desire for
justice, his appreciation of the workers, his belief that our beautiful
Appalachian environment should be protected, and his love of a good fight.
But even if he were paid for every single thing he does or if he just likes
to argue (which I consider to be quite an admirable quality), it wouldn't
mean that what he says isn't true or that what he is accomplishing doesn't
need to be accomplished.

Over the course of my 10 years of work as a technical writer/editor and
webmaster on the DOE Oak Ridge Reservation, I've worked with a number of
scientists and managers who initially assumed that I knew nothing about their
work because my 4-year degree is in English, or that I wasn't as smart as
they were because I didn't have a Ph.D.  They were wrong.  I have a very
strong science and technology background (for example, 4.5 years in U.S. Air
Force telecommunications electronics with the number one promotion score Air
Force-wide in my career field, recipient of Air Force Commendation Medal and
several other decorations).  I was a summa cum laude graduate of the
University of Tennessee (Phi Beta Kappa, 3.94 GPA).  My parents didn't
finance my education at all--I worked two part-time jobs and was in the Navy
Reserve while I attended college full time on scholarships, grants, and
loans.  When I graduated, I sent out only one resume--to Oak Ridge National
Laboratory (ORNL).  I wan!
ted a job as a technical writer/editor at ORNL because I saw that as the
perfect marriage of my two great loves: reading/writing and science.

Apparently, you are like many other scientists and managers I've worked with
in Oak Ridge who don't respect anyone's opinion or contribution except people
who meet your narrow definition of "expert." Therefore, may I suggest the
following reading material for you:

1. Dead Reckoning: A Critical Review of the Dept. of Energy's Epidemiologic
Research, Physicians for Social Responsibility's Physicians Task Force (1992).
2. Nuclear Wastelands: A Global Guide to Nuclear Weapons Production and Its
Health and Environmental Effects, International Physicians for the Prevention
of Nuclear War and Institute for Energy and Environmental Research (1995).
3. PSR Health Research Bulletin, quarterly publication of Physicians for
Social Responsibility. (Includes summaries of health impacts investigations
at DOE sites.)
4. Radioactive Heaven and Earth: The Health and Environmental Effects of
Nuclear Weapons Testing In, On and Above the Earth, International Physicians
for the Prevention of Nuclear War and Institute for Energy and Environmental
Research (1991).
5. Hazards Ahead: Managing Cleanup Worker Health and Safety at the Nuclear
Weapons Complex, Office of Technology Assessment (February 1993) (on the web
at http://www.ota.nap.edu/pdf/data/1993/9326.PDF).
6. Complex Cleanup: The Environmental Legacy of Nuclear Weapons Production,
Office of Technology Assessment (February 1991) (on the web at
http://www.ota.nap.edu/pdf/data/1991/9113.PDF).

Sincerely,
Pamela Gillis Watson