RE: Patient discharge per RG 8.39

We basically use the methodology of Appendix B in Reg Guide 8.39 to
determine the appropriate time for discharge of an in-patient who has
received a dose of I-131 for the treatment of thyroid cancer. However, we
have found from a study of our database of over 200 such administrations of
I-131 that the effective half-lives given in Table B-1 of Appendix B do not
apply to this group of patients. We have recently submitted this study to
Health Physics for publication (hopefully) as a paper. According to the
protocol we have developed (which we also plan to submit as an operational
note) most patients stay over one night before discharge, regardless of the
activity administered.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
Associate Physicist
Department of Medical Physics