Career Day

I have participated in 2 high school career days in the past year.  The
first one was basically a presentation format where I spoke to several
groups of students for about 20 minutes.  The term "career day" implies that
they want information regarding careers in health physics or closely related
areas (e.g., medical physics, nuclear engineering, etc.).  Thus, it helps to
show slides of various health physics activities in different environments
(e.g., universities, nuc power plants, industrial radiography, national
labs, etc.).   You can also provide information regarding HP salaries which
is readily available on the HPS website or in the HPS newsletter (annual
salary survey).  Hands on displays or demonstrations are also very helpful
(high school kids like to be entertained).  A Geiger counter with some
"Fiestaware", a Th impregnated gas lantern mantle, radium dial clock, etc.
gets their attention and interest.

The other career day was more of a display format.  Each presenter had a
couple of tables for displays, handouts, demonstrations, etc.  The students
basically wandered around to the various tables, looked at displays, and
participated in any hands on activities.  I basically made up several slides
similar to those mentioned above using "Powerpoint", printed them out with a
color laser printer, and mounted them on a couple of display boards.  I used
the Geiger counter and the various sources mentioned above, but let the
students "survey" them (if you do this, be sure to stick them to the table).
Below each item was a folded sheet (also stuck to the table) that said
"Radioactive or Not?" on the outside.  The student would survey each item
and then look inside the folded sheet for the explanation as to why the item
was radioactive.  I included the various sources mentioned above as well as
other items (e.g., banana, brick, etc.) where one couldn't measure the
radiation.  The obvious point was that everything is radioactive - it's a
matter of amount.  I also had handouts of the HPS salary survey, a list of
universities offering HP degrees, the HPS Career brochure (I had to make
copies of that because it is no longer being printed) and a listing of
current HP job offerings (from a couple of websites).

Both formats have their advantages and disadvantages.  If you have questions
or would like a copy of the PowerPoint slides, feel free to call or e-mail
me.

Regards,
Mack R.

Mack L. Richard, M.S., C.H.P.
Radiation Safety Officer - IUPUI/Indiana Univ. Med. Cntr.
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu