Re: Controllable Dose, Roger Clarke, 1 Oct. 1998

> Prof Clarke's concept is very persuasive and has some unique features.

It is these unique features that I take issue with. For example:

(1) Dr. Clarke states "It does not apply to exposures that are not
amenable to control, such as cosmic radiation at ground level, but
would apply to high terrestrial levels of natural background." My
question is how does one regulate this, and, do we make individuals
move solely for the reason that they are exposed to high levels of
natural exposure, that does not originate from cosmic radiation?

(2) "The significance of a level of controllable dose depends on its
magnitude, the benefit to that individual and the ease of reducing or
preventing the dose." This is essentially ALARA. Mandating ALARA
levels was attempted in the USA, and was dropped from the
regulations. The only reference now is that there must be a program,
but there are no prescriptive level requirements stated. Each
situation must be assessed on its own merits. There are too many
variables in this consideration; 1st the risk, 2nd the benefit and
3rd the ability to reduce. We all know the consequences of having too
many variables to manage.

(3) "If the risk of harm to the health of the most exposed individual
is trivial, then the total risk is trivial - irrespective of how many
people are exposed." I fully concur with this statement.

(4) Dr. Clarke lists various dose limits, i.e., 20 mSv/year
occupational dose, 10 mSv/year from home radon, tens of mSv per
medical procedure, such as a CT scan."While these levels of dose to
the individual can hardly be called unacceptable, they are levels at
which questions should be asked as to whether the dose and associated
fatal risk which will be of the order of 10^-3, or 1 in 1000, can be
avoided by some sort of action." This seems to come down to whether
or not LNT is a valid concept or not. My own personal opinion is that
the evidence today suggests that Dr. Clarke's concept is even more
restrictive, and conservative, than the current regulations and
recommendations, and yet there is no evidence that dictates that we
need to decrease any dose limits. In fact, we should increase the
regulatory limits, not lower them, based on the evidence that does
exist today.

(5) ".. a single "limit" of controllable dose. The value would be
around 20-30 mSv in a year." Again I come back to how does one
document the varying components that make up the controllable dose
that is assigned to the worker, or, the general public. We have good
details on the occupational dose. How do we capture all of the other
dose components. While it's nice to propose a new method of
accounting, the process needs to be defines. Not every entity is
sophisticated enough to do all of these measurements and
calculations.

(6) "(a) what quantity is to be used to assure that the source
provides an overall benefit from its introduction, and (b) how is
"asl low as reasonably achievable" to be judged when individual dose
is the determining criterion." What mechanism is the benefit to be
documented. From medical applications, there is an obvious answer. In
some cases, it's obvious, as with power reactor employees, research,
etc. If one must justify all dose by benefit, including natural
sources, this will be very difficult.

In conclusion, in my opinion, Dr. Clarke's proposal will do great
harm, not provide any real benefit in the way of reducing individual
ailments or reduce any loss of life. In fact, reducing the limits to,
and including all of the factors considered would actually do more
harm to the general public, and to the occupational workers. For
example, if the individual dose limit is lowered, the work still must
be accomplished. Therefore, additional workers will be required. This
is a direct contradiction of the concept, that being the dose to the
individual being paramount, and not the collective dose. Here we
could actually increase the number of exposed individuals.

I hope this proposal never sees the light of day, unless modified
considerably.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205