Cloud chamber experiment

I just received a call from a local HS science teacher. He wants to do a cloud
chamber experiment with his students. He wants to try first before he does it
before his class. And he requested me to help him. I have not done this
experiment myself. I look through my old nuclear physics books and got some
ideas. Our plan is: 1) get a glass jar, 2) place a black peace of paper in the
bottom of the jar, 3) saturate the jar with alcohol vapor, 4) place the jar in
dry ice, 5) place a radiation source or observe cosmic radiation in the cloud
chamber. I have Coleman mantle for source.

My questions are: 1) will this work? 2) do we need to be in dark place?

I really want ot help this teacher. Any constructive suggestions are welcome. The
teacher would like to do this on next Friday if possible so we have to use what
we have.

Thank you and have a good weekend. M. Jo

begin:vcard
n:Jo;M.
tel;fax:775-784-4553
tel;work:775-784-4540
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Nevada Reno;EH&S, MS 328
adr:;;N. Virginia St;Reno;NV;89557;
version:2.1
email;internet:mjo@scs.unr.edu
title:Myung Chul Jo, M.S., CHP