"Lighter" Side of Health Physics

And now for something completely different. (Monty Python)

I'd be interested in hearing how any of you handle one of the albatrosses of
our profession; the dreaded Glow-In-The-Dark joke. <SCREAM>

About fifteen years ago I thought I'd heard them all. Since then I've
confirmed that. I've tried many methods to reduce the beating of that deal
ol' horse and what I've found to be most helpful is a preemptive strike. (It
also helps to not let it bother me so much, duh! :)  )Most of the comments
come from LM employees in my training classes. Now I start the classes with
an introduction like, "Hello, I'm Don Mercado, Radiation Safety
Officer..blah...blah...blah... Here's the charge number for this course, and
I charge $0.25 for each glow-in-the-dark joke. We utilize payroll
deduction." That usually results in some chuckling, and fewer attempts at
jokes.

Any comments?

Donald P. Mercado
Radiation Safety Officer
Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Missiles & Space - Sunnyvale Operations
O/EK-20, B/101
1111 Lockheed Martin Way
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Ph. (408) 742-0759