Re: Source of regs/policy on decay in storage

Doug

Neither Section D.1001 (Waste Disposal - General Requirements), nor Section
G.30 (Decay-In-Storage), of the Suggested State Regulations for Control of
Radiation, proposes a limit on the length of the half-life.  Section G.30a
simply reads: "Before disposal in ordinary trash, a licensee shall hold
radioactive material for decay-in-storage and is exempt from the waste
disposal requirements of Part D of these regulations if the licensee: i.
Holds radioactive material for decay a minimum of 10 half-lives."
Contrastingly, 10 CFR 35.92(a) reads: "A licensee may hold byproduct
material with a physical half-life of less than 65 days for
decay-in-storage before disposal in ordinary trash . . ."

Perhaps the Conference of Radiation Control Program Directors, in its
wisdom, thought it best to leave it to the individual States to write a
half-life limitations, should they so desire. I recommend that you consult
your own regs.

Many licensees do have line-items that permit nuclides with longer
half-lives to be decayed-in-storage. However, the halflife of Co57 is 271
days. I don't know of any regular licensee allowed that much time (2710 d =
7.4 y). I suppose that one of the waste disposal companies might be able to
D-I-S it for you. If they could it'd probably be a darn sight cheaper than
disposing of it as radwaste (i.e., land burial).

good luck
cja