Re: Exempt quantities

The statement below that exempt sources are exempt from disposal
regulations is not correct.  The wording in my reg book says:

Part 330 (equivalent to NRC part 30)

330.40 License Exemption - Radioactive Materials Other Than Source Material

"Any person is exempt from this part to the extent that such person
receives, possesses, uses, transfers, owns or acquires products containing
radioactive material introduced in certain concentrations not in excess of
those listed in  Section 330 Appendix A provided they have been distributed
pursuant to a license as described in subsection (a)(2) below: This Section
shall not be deemed to authorize the import of radioactive materials or
products containing radioactive materials."

Please notice it says nothing about an exemption from the disposal regulations.

Dave Derenzo

At 10:52 AM 04/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 4/19/2000 11:36:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>raldrich@nysnet.net writes:
>
> > Sources manufactured and distributed as exempt are exempt from all =
> >  regulation with regards to radiation, including disposal.
>
>Does this hold true for transportation purposes?  Example, suppose an exempt
>source had a specific quantity > 70 Bq/gm.
>
>Jack McCarthy
>manometjack@aol.com

Dave Derenzo, RSO (dave@uic.edu)
UIC Radiation Safety Section, M/C 932
Phones: Voice (312) 996-1177  Fax: (312) 996-8776