RE: NOVA / FRONTLINE

Dave and others,

I was too fast here - and only reflecting over the longterm capacity - that
is what the deep oceans _can_ swallow - but my comment was not about the
kinetics and the context of 10-50 years (I apologize). Your lines below are
therefore most relevant of course. Actually my comment was triggered by an
entirely different context area: The question of whether there are deep
sources of carbon gas (methane etc) from the inner of the Earth (what is the
explosive stuff in volcanoes - hydrogen gas?) - the carbon seems to be in
different locations depending on where we are in our planetary system
(frozen methane & ethane further out).

Greenhouse etc:
I would guess that the transients for dissolving CO2 in the seas is in the
order of decades or even more. The transients from shallow water to deep sea
oceans are in the order of 500 years or more so it is definitely a long term
process. I am well aware of people living on islands which are threatened
because of the ocean levels increasing. There are also large agricultural
areas that could be affected in a negative way. We all know about the other
hazards that come from using fossil fuels. I would never use the deep ocean
capacity as an argument for not considering the green house effect.

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com
------