RE: I-131 therapy capsules

At this institution we have not routinely used oral solution for I-131
therapeutic doses for a long time (> 15 yrs?), but once in a while it is
given in that form for special cases. e.g. patients who have difficulty
swallowing capsules or who have a malabsorption problem. Officially, our
procedures require that we do regular thyroid bioassays on the nurses who
care for in-patients tyreated with I-131 and on others who perform
radioiodinations. Unofficially, we also check the thyroids of the nuclear
medicine techs quarterly. We have had only one positive assay and that was
back in the 80's. The thyroid uptake was less than 0.1 mCi, and it was due
to handling a contaminated label on a capsule vial. See Health
Physics49:81-83(1985). Years ago at another institution the solution form
was used routinely, and since I gave virtually all the doses (up to 300
mCi), I would have my thyroid checked 24 hrs after each one. That was
probably a license condition, but at this point in time I am not absolutely
certain.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
Associate Physicist
Department of Medical Physics