Primary Response to Medical Emergencies

Dear Radsafers,

I am curious what your Emergency Response Team has adopted as policy for responding to medical emergencies involving contamination.  I am specifically interested in radioactive contamination of the victim(s) or area where the are "down".

Will they respond immediately to life threatening medical emergencies, such as heart attack, regardless of radioactive contamination?  Or, do they wait for the Radiation Safety Office staff (or other knowledgeable and authorized individual) to tell them that it is OK to enter the area and treat the patient?  Will they only treat the patient after decontamination?

What is your policy for the transportation of contaminated individuals to the hospital?  Decon first?

Primarily I am interested in radioactive contamination events that are typical of biomedical research, dealing with 1 mCi or less of H-3, C-14, P-32, P-33, S-35, or I-125.

Please send all responses directly to me.

Thank you!

Wade Sewell
wade.a.sewell@dupontpharma.com