NewsReport-"The Dirty Truth About the Nation's Most Polluting Power Plants

Radsafers:
A national environmental advocacy group together with US. Senator Jim
Jeffords [R-VT] recently issued a report titled: "Lethal Legacy: The Dirty
Truth About the Nation's Most Polluting Power Plants" concerning 594 fossil
fueled power plants which are reported as being among the "nation's dirtiest
power plants". The plants are ranked on four pollutants: nitrogen oxides,
sulfur dioxide, mercury, and carbon dioxide.

A news report describing the report can be found at:

http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/2000/04/04212000/power_12224.asp

<A
HREF="http://www.enn.com/news/enn-stories/2000/04/04212000/power_12224.asp";>Cl
ick here to see ENN News Article on fossil power plant pollution</A>

This report was recently the subject of a Washington, DC based news
conference organized by the traditionally antinuclear Public Interest
Research Group [PIRG] to  promote the passage of the "Clean Energy Bill"
authored by US Sen. Jim Jeffords, which is aimed at cleaning up polluting
fossil fueled power plants. Jeffords, joined PIRG [the truth to the old saw
that politics makes strange bedfellows - a republican and PIRG?] at the April
13 press event news conference pushing the report and the bill.

I would recommend radsafers read the news article about the report "Lethal
Legacy" and obtain the report, if interested,  which is available from PIRG
or perhaps your Senator related to consideration of the Clean Energy Act
bill.  This report is relevant to the debate over alternate fuel cycle risk
estimates and policy considerations. US Senator Jeffords, author of the Clean
Energy Act bill is quoted as saying:

"It is long past time for this industry [electric utilities] to make a
transition to clean, safe energy sources."

At last something we,  Earth Day backers,  and environmental activists can
all agree upon. I would recommend we all contact our US Senators and express
our support for the Clean Energy Act introduced by  Sen. Jeffords [R-VT]
since it will lead to a more level playing field in considering alternate
electric generating options.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Public Health Sciences
email: radiumproj@cs.com
(802) 496-3356

PS: I've attached below a post which I made to the ENN Forum Discussion Area
on their recent news article about the Lethal Legacy Report.  If any
Radsafers feel that today's nuclear generating plants or the next generation
of plants on the drawing boards have something to contribute to the goal of
clean energy, the theme of Earth Day 2000, perhaps they might post a comment
to the ENN Forum Discussion of this report or other forums  there about
Global Warming, or start a forum theme at the ENN [Environmental News
Network] website. It is never too late to start a "dialogue" with traditional
 critics or even hard-core opponents where there might be some common ground
in reaching a desired endpoint.

ENN Forum
Sunday, April 23, 2000  Comment on this story
Comment on this message
--

Name: Stewart Farber
Email: radiumproj@cs.com