Re: Earth Day Experience

Tom,

It sounds like you had a well-planned informative display.  Too bad
there was so little interest.  I do a lot of work with the public, and
I've found that unless they see some immediate relevance to their lives
(either "what is the benefit to me?" or "is this a threat?"), it is
difficult to get their attention.  Unfortunately, people with a natural
curiousity and interest in learning new things are few and far between.
Perhaps this is a sad reflection on the educational system, or maybe
just a side-effect of our TV-based culture.

Also, Earth Day has played on the feel-good, recycle-trash,
turn-down-the-thermostat ethic, not really the serious questions related
to difficult choices on energy production, policy on waste disposal,
etc.  Perhaps the passers-by didn't care to have to engage their brains
by interacting with an obviously scientific display.  Too bad.  I, for
one, appreciate the efforts of any scientist who tries to give back to
his or her community by using their expertise to inform the citizens.  I
hope you will continue to look for opportunites to do so.

Best regards,
Susan