U.S. dismisses ``unrealistic'' nuclear proposals

U.S. dismisses ``unrealistic'' nuclear proposals

UNITED NATIONS, April 24 (Reuters) - The United States, accused
of dragging its feet on giving up nuclear weapons, dismissed on
Monday what it called ``unrealistic and premature'' steps toward
nuclear disarmament.

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright acknowledged the
international pressure to disarm but defended U.S. proposals to
develop a defence against incoming nuclear missiles.

She said the United States was going about nuclear disarmament
the right way and argued for more of the same.

``Far from any radical changes of course, what we need now is
more hard work, good faith, and patient political will from every
country,'' she told the five-yearly conference in New York to review
compliance with the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

``We share the frustration many feel about the pace of progress
toward a world free of nuclear weapons.

``But we also know that if countries demand unrealistic and
premature measures, they will harm the NPT and set back
everyone's cause,'' Albright added.

The 1970 treaty gives the first five nuclear countries -- Britain,
China, France, Russia and the United States -- a monopoly on
nuclear weapons, on the understanding that they will negotiate in
good faith to dismantle them.

An alliance of seven non-nuclear countries known as the New
Agenda Coalition are demanding the nuclear states move faster by
renouncing the first use of nuclear weapons, separating warheads
from missiles and taking missiles off high alert.

MISSILE DEFENCE

Many countries also object to the U.S. proposals to develop a
national missile defence (NMD), ostensibly to protect the country
from missiles fired by what it calls ``rogue states,'' including Iran
and North Korea.

Russia said on Monday that if Washington went ahead with NMD
and withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) treaty, it would
disrupt talks on a new treaty to limit nuclear arms and bring back
``an era of suspicion and confrontation.''

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan also criticised the system on
Monday, saying it could restart the arms race and create new
incentives for missile proliferation.

The missile defence system would violate the ABM treaty, which
Russia and the United States signed in 1972, and the Russians
oppose any amendments to accommodate NMD.

But Albright said: ``That treaty has been amended before and there
is no good reason it cannot be amended again to reflect new
threats from third countries.''

The system could handle at the most tens of missiles and so
would not neutralise Russia's nuclear deterrent, she said.

She added: ``There is concern that the United States is turning its
back on arms control. And there are persistent calls for a 'new
agenda' to force faster progress.

``Although such views are well-meaning and strongly held, let's
look carefully at the facts.''

Since the end of the Cold War, the United States has dismantled
60 percent of its nuclear weapons, pursued arms control talks with
Russia and spent over $5 billion on nuclear disarmament in the
former Soviet Union, she said.

NOT WITHIN OUR POWER

She quoted President Bill Clinton, in a booklet released by the
United States on Monday, as saying the United States remained
committed to a world free of nuclear weapons.

``Unfortunately, none of us has it within our power to create
overnight the conditions in which complete disarmament is
possible. But in our own regions, and in our own ways, we each
have a contribution to make,'' she added.

The United States is also vulnerable to criticism at the four-week
conference because the U.S. Senate last year failed to ratify the
Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT), which bans all nuclear
tests. The Russian Duma ratified it this month.

Albright noted that the Clinton administration has asked retired
General John Shalikashvili to answer the concerns of U.S. senators
about the treaty with a view to a new vote.

``I am convinced that America will ratify the CTBT, and thus help
ensure the nuclear arms race becomes a relic of the 20th century,
not a recurring nightmare of the 21st,'' she said.

Albright ruled out any amendments to the Non-Proliferation Treaty
to recognise as nuclear states either India or Pakistan, which
made retaliatory nuclear tests in 1998.

On Israel, a U.S. ally which has not signed the NPT, she said a
resolution at the New York conference should be ``fair and
balanced within the region (the Middle East).''

Other Middle East states repeatedly complain that the United
States turns a blind eye to Israel's nuclear programme.
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205