RE: Critics Allege Infant Mortality Rate

Hi all:

Does anyone have the data for the prevailing wind patterns in the Calvert
Cliff area? To keep it simple let's ask for the percentage of time the wind
blows to the 8 compass points (N, NE,E, etc).  I think it might be
instructive to the Cohen's that the term downwind can mean any direction on
any given day.

To the Cohen's:
Whenever I see someone claiming problems in a specific area and calling it
downwind, I immediately get suspicious and search the study to see how
downwind is defined and if the study has accounted for wind variability.  If
wind variability is defined and accounted for, then I read further.  If not,
into the dumper it goes!

Remember that there are numerous standard variables that must be accounted
for in any epidemiology study.  Wind variation is one variable and other
Radsafer's have pointed out other variables. Absolutely remember that no
matter if the study is pro or con from your position, be critical of its
design first.  Poorly designed studies are very easy to spot and are junk
science at best.  Too often, they are "political" science.

Larry Grimm
UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division
*	On Campus: 501 Westwood Plaza, 4th Floor, MS 951605
*	Off Campus: UCLA Radiation Safety Div, 501 Westwood Plaza 4th Fl,
Box 951605, Los Angeles, 	CA 90095-1605
*	lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu   Phone:310/206-0712   Fax: 310/206-9051
*	If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, notUCLA's.