Re: Critics Allege Infant Mortality Rate -Reply

The issue of the protocols being followed by the Tooth Fairy project is an
important one.  I know of no peer review that has been conducted of the
study design or the results that have been reported thus far.

I requested a copy of the protocol for the study, particularly the
radiochemical analyses being conducted, from a Tooth Fairy project
representative who called and asked me to participate in a recent
program in Toms River (He called the day before the event and I had a
previous commitment -  and therefore could not attend).  He assured me
that he would send me a copy but I never received one.  An
epidemiologist from the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior
Services separately requested a copy but also never received one.

My interest in the protocols is less than cursory.  For the past four years
I have coordinated the NJ Department of Environmental Protection's
support to the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services investigation
into a statistically significantly elevated incidence of childhood cancer in
Dover Township, NJ (Toms River).  The Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating
Station is approximately 10 miles essentially downwind from Toms River
and some area residents have expressed the concern that the increased
incidence of childhood cancer could be attributable to the power plant.  I
would like to be able to either allay their concerns or address any that
may have scientific merit.

If the Tooth Fairy project is to have any scientific credibiltiy whatever, it
must provide copies of their protocols to responsible scientists with
legitimate interests.

Gerald Nicholls
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
gnicholl@dep.state.nj.us