Re: RADSAFE digest 3139

<< I think that I can say with very good reasons that any contribution of
 fallout to the Sr-90 concentration in children can be totally excluded. >>

Franz,

It is still possible to measure Sr-90 in milk from milk producing states such
as Wisconsin and Minnesota.  It is apparently present because the soil in
those states still has Sr-90 from fallout.  Obviously some of that Sr-90 will
be incorporated into the teeth of children.  It is an interesting fact that
milk from Nevada has less Sr-90 than milk from mid-America, apparently
related to the fact that the Sr-90 was removed from the atmosphere by rain,
which seldom falls in Nevada.  Almost surely the Tooth Fairy Project will
detect Sr-90 in teeth but I predict it will be almost entirely (perhaps even
entirely) Sr-90 from the fallout of the 1960s. All the data point to the fact
that fallout fission products are much more abundant in the enviroment than
fission products from power plants. This makes the Tooth Fairy Project a bit
of folly from the very start.  As for Sr-89, there is no analytical reason
why Sr-89 could not be detected in teeth and it probably could be detected if
the premise of the Tooth Fairy Project is true. But of course there is every
reason to think that their hypothesis is false.

R. Holloway
Nevada Technical Associates, Inc.