Re: RADSAFE digest 3135

Sandy -

You're essentially correct ... there is (or should I say "was"?) no attempt to correct the measured TLD results for background (i.e. "background subtract"). NRC did use control TLD's, however, to correct for the dose delivered to the TLD before and after posting (i.e. from the time it left NRC Region I in King of Prussia until it was posted, and then from the time it was taken down until it arrived back at NRC Region I). If I remember correctly, NRC also normallized the results to a "standard quarter" of 91 days. I remember one of our graduate students at Georgia Tech working on a thesis paper in which they tried to determine "net" doses ... and if I remember correctly, yes, they may have calculated a net dose on the order of 1-2 mrem in a handful of cases ... looking at 10 or more years of TLD results. Note that the above analysis only applies to the NRC networks that we serviced ... i.e. the plants in Georgia (Hatch and Vogtle).

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Sandy Perle" <sandyfl@earthlink.net> 4/28/2000 18:45:18 >>>
Don,

If I am not mistaken, the dose results reported on the TLDs are the
gross readings, and not net. Therefore, the dose reported is
essentially natural background, except in some cases where the
net dose may be on the order of a mrem or so. Am I correct? It's
been awhile since I was involved in this activity.
Sandy Perle     Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical    Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division  Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.    E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue    E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205