Re: RADSAFE digest 3135

Sandy,

Most of the information I have is from reading the NUREG.  So I will write
about this in the past tense, since I don't know what changes, if any, have
taken place in the last two years.  There are several pages in the NUREG
explaining how uncertainties are calculated.  The uncertainty is about 3 to
4 mrem per quarter.  The NRC TLD dose readings are essentially natural
background.  The dose from the plants is not discernable on the TLDs,
because the dose from the plants is too low.  Lower than variations in
natural background.  In the cases that I am familiar with, this was
determined by measuring radiation levels at the plant site for several years
before it was built.  For each plant site "Up to three stations are also
established in a predominantly upwind direction to serve as indication of
the ambient radiation levels that are not expected to be influenced by plant
operations."   These were 12 to 30 miles from the plant and were sometimes
refered to as "control" TLDs.   That is incorrect because there were
actually two control TLD used in the program.  The values I mentioned were
"net" TLD readings.  This was the "gross" TLD reading minus the "transit
exposure" which varied from about 3 to about 11 mrem,depending on the plant
site.  The "transit exposure" was determined by using the "control" TLDs,
one of which was kept in a lead shielded box during the 90-day exposure
period.  That corrected for the exposure during transit and storage.

Don Kosloff dkosloff@ncweb.com
2910 Main St, Perry OH 44081

  ----- Original
Message -----