Fourth Taiwan nuclear plant plant hits new snag

Note: The rest of today's nuclear news related items will be
distributed to my distribution list .. not Radsafe. I try to limit
the news I post to no more than 2 articles a day...
--------

Fourth Taiwan nuclear plant plant hits new snag

TAIPEI, May 2 (Reuters) - Taiwan's controversial fourth nuclear power
plant hit a new snag on Tuesday when the economics minister ordered
the state power company to stop inviting tenders for its
construction.

The fate of the US$5.3 billion plant has been in the balance since
Chen Shui-bian of the Democratic Progressive Party won presidential
elections in March, ending more than five decades of Nationalist
rule.

Chen had pledged to scrap the project during campaigning.

Economics Minister-designate Lin Hsin-yi told reporters that a
decision on the project would be made within six months.

"This is to avoid further losses if we decide not to go ahead with
the plant," said Lin.

The Legislative Yuan, or parliament, had approved a budget for
construction of the plant, said Wang Ying-han, chief secretary of
parliament's budget committee.

The law required the permission of parliament to halt the execution
of approved budgets, Wang said, adding that the economics ministry
also needed the cabinet's approval to kill the project.

Taiwan Power Co has completed 30 percent of the plant's
superstructure.

It has also awarded US$1.3 billion worth of contracts, including a
$1.8 billion contract to U.S. General Electric Co <GE.N> for two
nuclear reactors and related equipment in 1996.

The same year, Japan's Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd <7011.T> was
chosen to supply turbine generators worth US$127.8 million.

COMPENSATION FOR BREACHING CONTRACTS

Taiwan Power officials said if the project was dropped, the company
stood to lose all that had been spent and it must compensate
suppliers for breaching contracts.

Following more than a decade of disputes and environmental protests,
the Atomic Energy Council issued permits for construction of the
2,700-megawatt plant in March 1999 -- five years after parliament
approved the budget.

The first reactor was scheduled to enter service in July 2004 and the
second in July 2005.

Taiwan Power spokesman Lai Shih-chang said the state power company
would follow the orders of the ministry.

Chen's chief aide Chiou I-jen has said the reaction of international
suppliers and contractors would be taken into account before any
decision was taken to mothball the plant.

Taiwan Power has argued the plant is needed to meet growing power
demand. It says that without the facility, northern Taiwan would
suffer a shortage of four million kilowatts of power per day during
the peak season this summer.

Taipower's three operating nuclear plants each have two generating
units which produce about one quarter of Taipower's 21,900 megawatt
output.

To keep pace with economic growth, Nationalist officials have said
the state utility's output must rise to 36,000 megawatts in 2000.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205