RE: Solar Panels

I'd be interested in the number as well.  I have an unofficial energy
manufacturing cost of 1360 kWh/m^2 of photovoltaic panels.  Assuming a very
generous installed electricity production rate of 0.4 kWh/d.m^2, the energy
payback time would be almost 10 years.

But I'm skeptical about my 0.4 kWh/d.m^2.  I was at Mountain Equipment Co-op
in Toronto a couple years ago near noon on a largely cloudless day in June.
This store touts there "1-kW" roof-mounted solar panel unit (with a power
meter at street-level) as a model of environmental stewardship.  When I was
there, the display was, for some reason, cycling from zero W to about 250 W
(plus or minus 30 W) when the sky was cloudless.  When a puff of cumulous
cloud intervened for a minute, the display read "sleeping", which I
interpreted quantitatively as zero W.  The following year (last year) I
happened to be there again on a cloudless day in June (my records indicate
Sunday, June 6, 12:00), and the unit was behaving more consistently - it
continuously read "sleeping" on that beautiful day about two weeks shy of
summer solstice.

I wouldn't need a lot of convincing that these trinkets are a net energy
drain.  Furthermore, I'd like to see a comprehensive safety analysis report
for this technology, including waste management, construction, and
maintenance risks (even per unit gross energy produced).

Bruce Heinmiller
heinmillerb@aecl.ca