norm's "grand plan" (alternatives to nukes/coal)

Hi all
In order to save space, let me respond to all those who posted on the
thread about what would I suggest we replace nukes and coal with.

There were many excellent comments, mostly in the negative, about what
problems each
type of alternative energy brought with it to the table, and I'm not
about to argue with any of those caveats or problems, because that's not
the point.

This is a very complex problem, and I just gave Sandy a broad sketch of
where to go. Of course there will be obstacles of all kinds placed on
the road.

The important part of my answer (for me at least) to Sandy, concerned
"national will". As the many people on this list have shown by the
obvious intelligence exhibited in their postings, this country has the
personal resources to tackle most any problem and succeed. The question
is whether we have the will and national leadership needed to lead us,
and the world, away from
all fossil fuels (including gas) and away from nukes (sorry guys) to a
world of safe, clean and efficient energy.

As Mr Pyle's post shows, the paths to get there are growing clearer each
day. But the effort and expense will be major, for both the US and for
developing countries that want industrialization on the quick.

The money is there. Its stuck in the military budget (300 + BILLION,
including 12 Billion for nuke weapons). At 50% of that budget we'd still
be the strongest military superpower on the face of the earth with the
capacity to blow anyone back to the stone age. But what could be done
with an investment of 150 billion a year for 10 years (1 trillion, 500
billion bucks) into
alternatives?

Make that investment, and fuel the urgency by beginning the phase-out of
the most polluting coal plants and most dangerous (that means you,
Salem) and aging nuke plants.

I'm not the person to fill in the blanks in the plan. There are places
like Pace University Energy Project & lots more who's work is to do just
that.

Finally, a quick question - do any of you get EREN news from the DOE? A
weekly email newsletter that updates the US's progress on alternative
energy. And its from the DOE, not us
no-nukers.

peace
norm
--
Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr
Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer