Re: natural and un-natural radiation

I agree with Bernie. But to go a step further: MOST radiogenic DNA damage is
NOT caused by such direct 'hits.'

Instead it is caused by DNA interaction with reactive oxygen species that are
formed in the vicinity of the DNA by ionizations. So the DNA is even further
'removed' from 'knowing' that the cause is even ionizing radiation! much less
"natural" vs. "unnatural" radiation!  (There's no such thing, of course -
"radiation" is alpha, beta, gamma, and other "natural" sources, e.g., high
energy particles, protons from cosmic rays, and electron capture and other low
energy transformations).

But go even further:  The formation of reactive oxygen species by normal
metabolism is millions of times greater than background radiation. (You are
taking your anti-oxidants every day aren't you?  :-)

Note that the normal "background" level of damaged DNA is about 30,000 in
every cell, with a half-time of repair of 30-40 minutes). This has a high
transient effect with thermal stress, e.g., exercise, drink a hot cup of
coffee, etc.  Certainly the DNA break couldn't give a DAMN whether an OH-
radical was caused by radiation at all!

Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net
Radiation, Science, and Health