Re: Quality of data (cancer rates)

According to Dave Wiedes, the probability of a person contracting
some form of cancer in their life-time is now 1 in 2.5 persons. That
means a lot of people are going to have cancer, and never come in
contact with anything remotely related to nuclear exposure of any
kind.

Has anyone ever determined the total potential population of
persons living within let's say, 5 to 25 miles? I venture to guess
that this is a very small number of individuals when compared to
the population in total. However, we have some statisticians
making accusations based on this small sample without benefit of
assessing the same statistics for the much larger population that
is nowhere near these nuclear centers.

The infant mortality study, the tooth fairy study .. granted, they
have numbers, no matter whether or not we agree with the
methodology .. but there is no comparison to the rest of the
population out there. This is one of the significant problems with
these studies. What they may have concluded in their tests is that
what data they do have may be statistically equivalent to the rest of
the population. In other words .. there is no difference.

It's easy to use the scare word "cancer". My father, both
grandfathers, died from cancer, and none of them were ever near a
nuclear facility. My mother has cancer and the closest she has
come to a nuclear center is me. They are a statistic. If they lived
within x miles of a power plant, they would have most definitely
been counted in these studies. They fit the conclusion desired.

Reality in data and evaluation .. that's all I ask.
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205