Radiation is Radiation

> But to reduce the issue of radiation health down to three words, "radiation is
radiation," is summed up by these
> three words, "crazy is crazy."

Norm (Mr. Middleman), the REM is a compliance unit for radiation which
normalizes (for your benefit I guess) the different types of radiation so all
produce the same risk of cancer per unit of energy deposited.  Some simplifying
assumptions are made, so the risks aren't exactly equal.  However, if a
naturally occurring nuclide and a anthropogenic nuclide are both alpha emitters
and concentrate in the same organ, alphas are alphas.  And, even in the more
general case a rem is pretty much a rem regardless of the type of radiation.
I'm sure you have very intelligent people in your camp, but they continually
exhibit a lack of knowledge about which they speak.

Crazy After All These Years

Jay A. MacLellan, CHP
Radiation and Health Technology
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory