Re: RADSAFE digest 3179

In answer to my question as to whether or not he would accept nuclear power
if it killed less people than other forms of power, Norm Cohen writes:

<< What an interesting question. This seems to imply that nuclear does kill
 some people...
 I guess my answer remains "I don't know". So go ahead and give it a try.

hmmm.  I would think it would be obvious that any MAJOR source of power will
have various drawbacks, including human deaths.  By that I mean the entire
process of plant construction, mining fuels and plant operation, etc.
You would concede, I think, that mining coal for power plants has some risk.
.  Construction and mining are by their very nature, dangerous occupations
and that goes for drilling for oil and gas also.  Norm, you must have some
philosophical motive for opposing nuclear plants.  I am just trying to find
out what it is.  Unless we find some common standard by which to compare
nuclear power to other power sources, it does not make much sense to discuss
the issue.  What is the standard by which you evaluate various forms of
power? What is important to you in power production?  If it is merely an
emotional feeling against nuclear power, then we can't accomplish much by
discussion because you will always be against it, regardless of the facts.

R. Holloway
holloway3@aol.com