Re: radiation is radiation? - I-131

At 21:00 10/05/2000 -0500, Ruth Weiner wrote:
>Bob's first question raises an interesting point (especially for me since my
>father was an early user of I-131 as a diagnostic tool).  Have there been
>any epidemiological studies of cancer in patients in whom I-131 was used
>diagnostically?  Similarly, have there been studies on patients who have had
>bone scans with Tc-99?

Yes there have.  I refer you to the paper by Hall, Mattsson and Boice Jr,
"Thyroid cancer after diagnostic administration of Iodine-131" Rad Res 1996
145:86-92

They followed 34,104 patients for up to 40 years.  The mean thyroid dose
was estimated to be 1.1 Gy.  The Standardised Incidence Ratio was 1.35 (95%
CI 1.05-1.71) for thyroid cancer.

The abstract states " Excess cancers were apparent only among patients
referred because of a suspected thyroid tumour and no increased risk was
seen among those referred for other reasons.  Further the risk was not
related to radiation dose, time since exposure or age at exposure. The
slight excess of thyroid cancer thus appeared to be due to the underlying
thyroid condition and not radiation exposure.  Among those under age 20
years when I-131 was administered, a small excess risk (3 cancers compared
to 1.8 expected) was about 2-10 times lower than that predicted from data
for the A-bomb survivors.  These data suggest that protraction of dose may
result in a lower risk than an acute x-ray exposure of the same total dose."

Hope this helps the discussion

Richard Smart

Richard Smart PhD
Principal Physicist and Radiation Safety Officer
Nuclear Medicine Department
St. George Hospital
Kogarah
NSW, 2217, Australia